Have you ever met someone or gone to visit someone in their home, and they made you take off your shoes before you came inside? While you may have thought they were a bit crazy at the time, they actually have the right idea when it comes to keeping your carpets looking clean.
Wearing shoes inside your home when you have carpets can easily cause stains in your carpet and even bring in dirt that can get deep into your carpet where it’s hard to get out.
Dirty Shoes Can Cause Stains
Whether you realize it, every time you come inside with your shoes on, you are tracking dirt in everywhere you have walked during the day. If you have been outside a lot, who knows what you may track in without even knowing it? For example, if it has been raining outside and you step in some mud, you can easily track in the mud if you wear your shoes inside and walk on the carpet.
Even if you don't step in some mud, if you walk in with wet shoes, you are bringing everything with it, such as dirt, leaves, or other particles. You may not even realize what you are tracking in and even if it does not make a big impact after one time, over time with you doing this over and over again, you will start to notice some stains in the areas where you walk.
Once you start to notice them, the dirt and grime will have likely gotten deep into the carpet and you may not be able to get it out with your regular cleaning techniques.
Reasons to Keep Your Carpet Clean
Dirty shoes track in dirt and other germs onto any surface that you walk on. This may not seem like a big deal at first but there are several reasons you want to keep your carpets clean including:
- Keeping them clean and healthy - Not only should you want your carpets to look clean but you should also want them to last. When dirt, toxins, and other things get deep into your carpet, you actually shorten the span of its life. You will have to replace your carpets more often as a result, which is not cheap.
- Children and pets spend a lot of time on the floor - Because pets and children are smaller, they tend to spend a lot of their time closer to the floor than adults do. They touch it more and will likely put objects found on the floor into their mouths. There is even a chance of heavy metals, like mercury or lead, being in the carpet because they are found in driveways and parking lots where we walk. This can lead to sickness or harm caused to the child or pet which can be avoided.
- Removes unpleasant odors - Many kinds of organic particles can be tracked in on your shoes, and as they build up in the carpet fibers, they can decompose and produce unpleasant odors. This can be embarrassing if you don't notice the smell but guests who visit you do, so staying on top of regular cleanings is crucial.
- Improves air quality - The air quality in your home is not only affected by the filtration in your HVAC system, but your carpet will also contribute to it. If the carpet is not regularly cleaned, it can accumulate a large amount of dust, debris, and allergens that can get kicked up as people walk across the carpeting. The carpet can also have harmful particulates stored inside it, so keeping it clean increases your air quality and reduces the risk of breathing in the irritants.
- Saves your subflooring - Your home is a major investment, and you want to protect it on every level and the carpeting helps protect your flooring material against the direct impact that can cause damage to it. However, a dirty carpet that has dampness, mold, fungi, or algae growing in it can cause deterioration in the primary flooring and result in replacement if left unaddressed for too long.
- Maintains home value - A dirty carpet will reduce the aesthetics inside the home, and even if you have clean furniture, doors, windows, and walls, a stained or soiled carpet will make the house look uncared for. This will decrease the aesthetics and can affect the home's overall value, especially if you are considering selling. Scheduling a professional cleaning will not only help remove spots and stains but can also increase the overall value of your property and keep your home's interior looking great.
What To Do When You Can't Get Stains Out
If you have noticed stains and tried to get them out on your own with no success, it is time to call in the professionals for a deep cleaning. Here at CCS Cleaning and Restoration, we can get deep into your carpets to get out the stains that have been building up for some time. We can also get out any mud stains you may have tracked in. Once we have cleaned the stains, you may also want to reconsider wearing your shoes inside on the carpet and possibly causing more stains in the future.
If you have stains in your carpet, be sure to reach out to us at CCS Cleaning and Restoration today to schedule your carpet cleaning so they can look as good as new.